Resolving Disputes Since 1976

Merovitz Potechin LLP has decades of experience assisting people with business and personal disputes in Ottawa and throughout Ontario. We help you explore all of your options and achieve the best possible results.

We assist with disputes and litigation involving:

Dedicated To Finding A Resolution

Merovitz Potechin LLP is committed to guiding you through your case, providing personal attention and representation tailored to your specific legal concerns. Disputes involving your personal or professional reputation require zealous and effective counsel. We will get to know you and your situation to help us find a cost-effective approach.

Not every firm is skilled at litigation. Our lawyers have extensive litigation and negotiation experience. This experience allows us to devise unique and effective strategies for our clients' legal challenges. We will help you understand your options and what actions we can take to best protect your interests.

Our Guarantee To You

Every case is unique. While we cannot guarantee a result, we can guarantee that you will receive our individual attention and personal service. This includes our litigation service guarantee:

  • We will always treat you courteously and respectfully.
  • We will respond promptly and within one business day.
  • We will explain the process to you so you understand all the steps to take in your case.
  • We will give you the best cost estimate for each phase of the litigation.
  • We will explain how the law applies to the facts of your case.
  • We will do our utmost to get you the best and most cost-efficient result.

We will zealously advocate for your interests by explaining all of your options and pursuing your goals. Our decades of experience handling complex litigation matters are why we continue to receive referrals.

Discuss Your Legal Matter With Us

Learn more about how we can assist with your litigation matter. Call our law firm at 877-612-1123 or fill out our contact form to arrange a consultation.

Recently Asked Questions

Q: I was surprised by a claim against my company by a client who owed me money. There were some settlement negotiations but then the Plaintiff stalled the process in 2012. Nothing has happened with the claim since. The claim is still public record and damaging to my company. Is there is a limitation on how long unsettled claims hang around and what if anything can be done to remove this unsettled lawsuit from the public record?

Show answer

A: Within the Rules of Civil Procedure (https://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/regu/rro-1990-reg-194/latest/rro-1990-reg-194.html) are two Rules that deal with dismissing actions for delay. Rule 24 deals with the Defendant asking the court to dismiss a matter for delay, when the Plaintiff is unreasonably letting the case stay in limbo, while Rule 48.14 deals with a court initiated procedure to dismiss a matter for delay after 5 years.

Q: I served the Statement of the claim on October 31, 2014, the defendant filed and served me with Notice of intent to defend, first of all today is the day I can file the default Judgment? If I file the default Judgment, should I inform the defendant?

Show answer

A: Yes, you should notify the defendant because if you don’t give the defendant a last warning with some time to do the statement of defence, it is quite likely that a Court would set aside your judgement.

Q: Are judges elected in Canada?

Show answer

A: There are no Canadian judges that are elected. Provincial court judges are appointed by the provincial government. Superior Court judges for all of the different provinces and territories are appointed by the federal government. Supreme Court of Canada judges are appointed by the federal government but they must meet certain criteria.

Q: An FLA claimant wants out of an action after close of pleadings. The injured plaintiff’s action goes on. What is the procedure? Does the FLA claimant file a Notice of Discontinuance? Does he need consent of the other plaintiff or of the defendants?

Show answer

A: As pleadings have closed, the FLA claimant will require a court order to be removed from the action. The consent of all parties will be required or leave of the Court can be sought should consent of the parties not be forthcoming.

Q: There is a judgement against me and they are garnisheeing 20% of my wages. I am a single mom with 3 kids and I only earn $500 per week. If I lose $100 per week of wages I won’t be able to pay rent and feed my family. Is there anything I can do?

Show answer

A: You can apply to the Court to reduce the amount of your garnishment due to hardship.

Q: How to file and serve 18B intent to defend? Can I do it at any court house? What is the whole procedure? – Alfred
Show answer

A: Hi Alfred,

Form 18B – Notice of Intent to Defend- is a court form that a defendant may file if he/she does not have enough time to complete and file his/her statement of defence in the time prescribed. By filing a Notice of Intent to Defend the defendant is awarded an additional 10 days to file his/her statement of defence. The form can be downloaded from the official site of the Ministry of the Attorney General at: www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca. You will need to fill the form to include the name of the parties, your personal information (address and telephone number) and the information of the plaintiff(s).

The Notice of Intent to Defend has to be served on the other parties. This can done in a number of ways, depending on whether or not the other parties are represented. An Affidavit of Service has to be prepared, in which the defendant swears that the Notice of Intent to Defend was served on the other parties and the method of service. The Notice along with the Affidavit of Service are then filed with the court where the claim was commenced.

The Notice of Intent to Defend is just the first step in what can be a long and complicated process. The Rules of Civil procedure governing civil litigation can be confusing and it is advisable to consult with a lawyer regarding the law and the procedures to be followed.

Q: What is litigation?

Show answer

A: “Litigation” refers to actual contested proceedings where some type of lawsuit is filed with the court. Nasty letters, verbal arguments, and even fistfights do not constitute litigation. True litigation starts the moment one side or the other files an actual lawsuit with the court.

Q: Why does litigation cost so much?

Show answer

A: Litigation is expensive for a number of reasons, but the primary reason is that litigation is very time consuming and labor-intensive. For a lawyer to be ready at trial, he must know virtually every aspect or facet of the case, and be familiar with each and every document associated with the case. Some lawyers estimate that they must spend at least 10 hours in preparation for every one hour of actual trial time. Sometimes the cost of expert witnesses greatly increases the litigation expenses. In other cases, the sheer number of witnesses to be interviewed and/or cross-examined can greatly influence the expense of the case.

Q: If I get into a dispute, are there less expensive alternatives to litigation?

Show answer

A: There are alternatives to litigation, most of which fall under the general category of “Alternative Dispute Resolution.” Two of the most common options are mediation and arbitration.