On Friday May 9, 2014, OTUS GROUP hosted Leader cast OTTAWA and Pinelopi Makrodimitris once again served on the organizing committee for this one day leadership conference which strives to ‘raise the bar’ on leadership and contributes to the development of stronger businesses and not for profit organizations and ultimately stronger communities.
Broadcast live via satellite feed from Atlanta Georgia to over 130,000 leaders from around the world this year’s event featured global thought leaders such as Bill McDermott, CEO of SAP, award-winning Canadian author of Blink and David and Goliath Malcolm Gladwell, Archbishop and Nobel Laureate recipient Desmond Tutu and Former First Lady Laura Bush among others.
This year’s theme ‘Beyond You’ challenged leaders to turn their focus outward and Keynote Speaker Harley Finkelstein, CPO of Shopify, addressed the over 200 participants on the outward thinking that was instrumental in realizing the international success of his Ottawa-based global business. Net proceeds from Leader cast OTTAWA will benefit the Queensway Carleton Hospital Foundation.
The day was filled with insightful and inspirational speeches. Some key takeaways from this year’s speakers include the following:
- Andy Stanley – To become a “Beyond You” leader you must fearlessly and selflessly empower leaders around you as well as those coming behind you.
- Andy Stanley – If your leadership is not all about you it will live beyond you.
- Archbishop Desmond TuTu – good leaders listen; good leaders are accountable; good leaders “lead;” good leaders know when to retire.
- Laura Bush – People are not very good at listening to other people but they are very good at copying them. So…if you are a leader… be a leader worth copying.
- Simon Sinek – Leadership is a daily practice…not an event.